Saturday, December 22, 2012

First Thoughts on My (Awesome) Dual Parentage


It was 2006 and the silence in the late-90s Impala was stifling. The sun outside was beating down heat from above and the black tar radiated the same from below. The ancient AC of the car struggled to keep up. The sickly whirl of its fan was the only sound to cling to as I waited for her response. My ostensibly liberal Christian co-worker seemed stunned.

 Of all the religions I could say she had not been prepared for me to say Kemetic and was even less prepared for my brief explanation of what it was. It’s a modern faith that reestablishes the worship of the ancient Egyptian pantheon. I told her calmly. I didn’t say the word pagan but I could see it reflected in her eyes nonetheless. Her hands tightened on the steering wheel and my first thought was that I had just made this the most awkward Wal-mart supply run ever.



“Well then…” she said finally, taking a deep breath.

Then suddenly she filled the car with a spirited football-game-style cry that is to this day the most startling yet soul-warming reaction I’ve ever gotten to a declaration of my faith:

“GO RA!”

------

As I mentioned in the RPD post, I had known going into the RPD that Set doesn’t come as a single parent. Though if you had given me a list of all the Names ever known and asked me to circle the top ten most likely Names to fill the space beside Him, I can honestly say that Ra would not have been one of them. That may be because I haven’t had much in the way of contact with Him, so I was entirely blind-sided by the revelation that He was my other parent. But in the same instant as I was surprised something clicked into place for me and I immediately recognized the inherent truth of that parentage. I’d be lying if I said I’d even come close to unpacking what all of this means for me, but at the moment, my reaction is about the same as my coworker’s reaction in the story above.

It’s also a huge relief.

For years I’ve been alone with Set and while I love Him with all my heart and soul and fully accept His influence in my life, Hemet (AUS) was entirely correct when She speculated that the reason He is always one of two when appearing as a parent might be because His energy needs to be balanced out. My gut reaction to hearing that Ra was my other parent and being reminded by Hemet (AUS) that they work well together—especially on the Night Boat in that hour when the waxen one is slain—was that Ra would be the influence that reigned in, commanded, and usefully directed the otherwise unbridled fury Set often inspires in me.

Suddenly, Ra’s reflection starts to show in every moment of control where I have successfully made good use of Set’s rebel spirit. He is the one who has tempered my overconfidence and kept me from building stone boats, so to speak. He is the one who has directed my occasional redness at productive and ultimately necessary tasks. And when I start to think of Him as the one directing my strength and fury and sense of justice, I also wonder if this is where Sekhmet comes into the picture. Everywhere I turn, there are connections. It’s a wonder I did not see them before.

I have much to meditate upon—a blessing given I am about to spend a few hours enjoying the elegance and simplicity air-travel (I say that last bit with extreme sarcasm, obviously). I will happily trade my usual frustrations with contemplation. To that end, I’m leaving overly early and plan to spend some time in a terminal today puzzling things out.

Safe travels to anyone else who’s flying, driving, sailing or otherwise making pilgrimage or journey this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment