Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Moth Myth Background

I haven't done any graphics art projects in a while, but those who knew me back in the days when the Cauldron used to do avatar challenges once a month probably remember that I used to play around with it. I finally decided I'd had enough of the Masks background--especially because I keep seeing that Anonymous hijacked Oscar Wilde quote: "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." While that may have fit my original intentions for this blog on some level, my perspective on that quote doesn't match up to the current popular interpretations. It may seem trivial, but images code meaning for me and since my message has changed subtly, the image must change to match.

(I describe my inspiration after the cut and also attached the picture file for the background as well as the instructions for installing it via code in blogger in case anyone wants to use it.)





The background was inspired by and named after the infamously rare Moth Myth deck of playing cards by a Korean magic company called Mystery Misdirection. I acquired one of the decks as part of an ongoing project and became obsessed with the image and symbolism of moths as well as the dark feel of the all black cards. Moths fit well with illusion work:

They are far more plain then butterflies yet are the result of the same mysterious transformative process. And it is that same plainness that makes them capable of producing a fluttering fear when we encounter them unexpectedly in a closet or cupboard. Their tendency toward flame and their occasional demise as they flirt with the edges of the heat is not unlike the danger the illusionist faces when pursuing the talent of deceit. A talent which always carries with it the temptation for ill-use and the myriad troubles such ill-use inevitably brings.

 This background was designed to fit the Picture Window template on blogger and you can install it by inserting the Direct Image Link into the code provided on this website, then adding an HTML/JAVA widget somewhere on your layout and pasting the code into it in the edit window:


Direct Image Linkhttp://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6499/bloggermothe3.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment