Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gift of the Curse: Part 1

[Read the intro to this series here.]


The first thing to overcome is the guilt and the fear…the nagging sense that I’m some sort of imposter who has no right to the term “gifted”. Like many, I have long held on to the misconception that “giftedness” could be reduced to a single, coldly defining number: an IQ score. That the everyday genius that is giftedness could standardized on a bell curve. The reality of giftedness, however, is worlds away from that base and primitive simplicity touted by psychologists of eras long since past...



There are many traits which define giftedness, and IQ is only one measure. The reliance on IQ as the determiner of intellectual capacity is an outmoded perspective that has been debunked many times over the years. That’s not to say it isn’t valuable, but like all measures, IQ scores are imperfect and they need to be considered along with other factors.

The fantastic online resource library of www.sengifted.org has a few great articles and a lot of bibliographic references for understanding giftedness in both children and adults. I recommend this one and this one if you want some brief but interesting perspectives on what giftedness actually is. I also highly recommend the texts The Gifted Adult, Gifted Grownups, and Misdiagnosis and DualDiagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults. All three are excellent references on the subject (though, fair warning, the third one in that list gets a bit technical in places if you are not already familiar with the DSM IV).

For those who didn’t come to this blog looking for a research project, I can summarize some of the characteristics frequently put forth as being part of the common traits of gifted children and adults:

*An ability to learn rapidly while still comprehending readily and retaining what is learned over time (typically, the memory is long term and reliable)
*Ability to concentrate and remain focused for long periods of time when engaged in a task, often to the point of “blocking out” the surrounding world
*Capacity for keen observations and fast, efficient problem finding abilities; typically good at analyzing complex systems and spotting the source of issues even among convoluted and interdependent factors
*Good at foreseeing problems and trends
*A tendency to set high standards for oneself and engage in routine self evaluation, often comprehending one’s own motives without outside assistance and grasping the functioning of the self on multiple levels at once
*Frequently feel “different” from others and usually have an atypical sense of humor especially keying into humor regarding the absurdity of life
*Persistent and deep concerns about universal issues and a keen sense of justice, often with an outright intolerance for unfairness
*A clear desire for and appreciation of novelty as well as a marked preference for unusual, unique, or creative responses
*High ambiguity tolerance and preference for divergent thinking
*High level of nervous system arousal resulting in extreme sensitivity (both physical and emotional), frequently with elevated energy levels which may cause short sleep cycles
*A sense of urgency in fulfilling personal destiny, strong goal-based drive and motivation, and/or feeling personal responsibility for large scale issues

There is much more that could be added to that list and many proposed ways of grouping characteristics into over-arching traits for ease of discussion. I think this is sufficient to get the gist of what being gifted is mostly about. The IQ is ultimately not nearly as impactful as many of these other traits when it comes to influencing how a person lives his or her life.

In my case, it is particularly fortunate that IQ is no longer the only research supported indicator of giftedness, because my number is a mystery to everyone: my parents refused to allow my public school to test me. That said, I had a twelfth grade reading level by the end of fourth grade and what my mother felt was an “unnerving” ability to translate Shakespearian English into modern language without training or coaching at the age of eight. That probably speaks well enough for what my IQ number might have been, had my parents allowed the testing to take place.

It’s probably redundant to say it now, but I read early and talked earlier. When I was a toddler, I startled my mother when I sat at the end of my bed each night and repeated, verbatim, every phrase that had been said to me throughout the day before falling asleep. I don’t remember doing that, but I do remember being trotted around at a pre-pre-school summer program and made to spell simple words like “bird” repeatedly because the attendants couldn’t believe a child on the shy side of four could accomplish the task.

At school, I inadvertently talked over the heads of my peers and regularly found that only adults could engage me in the level of conversation I needed in order to be properly entertained during recess. That had surprisingly little effect on me early on—I had a string of primary teachers who encouraged and supported me. But somewhere between third grade and fourth grade, I started to notice that I was not like the other children. Their teasing took on a harsher tone the further I outpaced them in the classroom. I was an outcast on the playground—the one place where they had an advantage over me. I quickly internalized the message they so clearly sent “You’re different, so there must be something wrong with you.”

Fast forward twenty years through a life that, despite my inherent gifts, has not been at all devoid of hardships. I am sitting on a psychologist’s couch repeating those words.

 “There must be something wrong with me.”

I say it while ignoring so much of myself. Ignoring the brilliant glow of my creativity, and sharpness of my mind, and the speed with which I process the complex thoughts racing through me. Ignoring the drive, and the sense of destiny, and the feeling that there must be something I can do to make the world a better place. Ignoring the deep emotions which make me too empathic to sit by while others suffer, and my acute sensitivity to injustice, and my impassioned reactions to the images in the nightly news. Ignoring the rich inner life I live as part of my faith, and the transcendent moments, and the bursts of philosophical insight. Parroting again what I was told so definitively by my peers as a child.

“There must be something wrong with me.”

Not realizing the fact that none of my gifts come without a price. Not realizing that asynchronous development, social difficulties, and oversensitivity to a world built for someone less reactive, are all part of the territory. Not realizing that the gift often looks like a curse. (Not realizing that most of the time, it is a curse.) Not realizing that good things can come of them, but only if they are nurtured and viewed from within the proper context. But because I don’t realize any of that, I don’t tell her that I read Hamlet in third grade. I just repeat what my classmates said because it’s what I think I know.

“There must be something wrong with me.”

The trouble is that, if you say it enough, someone will eventually agree with you. Once they do— once there is a diagnosis to hang all of your troubles from—you absolve yourself of the responsibility to fight for the right to be different without being ridiculed and isolated. It seems like salvation at first. Finally, finally, an explanation that makes everyone happy. It’s seductive and dangerous because ultimately, it means you accept it and it becomes your only reality.

“There is something wrong with me.”

The journey back from that place starts when some nearly forgotten part of you gets fed up, stands, and whispers back,

“No. There isn’t.” 

Ahead in Part 2 of this series: Coming back from the brink, "collapsed" gifted traits, and the problem of proving oneself sane after being declared insane

No comments:

Post a Comment