Friday, January 4, 2013

Building a Shrine Part 1


Building a shrine which represents my full line-up has proven challenging to say the least. Acquiring images that were agreeable to both the Names and to me took some doing. (Warning: lots of pics in the post)





 Set was easy as I already had a statue of him: years ago, when I first started out on the Kemetic path, I fell in love with the Veronese bronze of Set. Because I had a Wiccan itch at the time and wanted both a god and goddess on the altar (though as I realized later, my larger issue was balance and deep desire for duality--another post for another time) I purchased the Set statue alongside a Veronese bronze Ma’at. A long while later, I added a Veronese bronze Djehuety to my collection when I got the urge to do so (though Set insisted on me getting the kneeling one...which is also a story I'll have to tell someday). 

So with three statues already under my belt when I started this project, I was really intent on sticking with the Veronese bronzes (or at least with similarly colored bronzes) so that all of my statues would match. A found a Sekhmet I liked as well as a suitable Her-Wer:

 


Ra was more difficult. The first thing I learned is that nearly all Ra statues are labeled “Horus” in the item description. The second thing I learned was that I did not like any of the standing Ra designs. I really, really wanted Him on a throne for some reason. But, the only sitting Ra statues that I could easily find were black and gold. I didn’t want that because then it wouldn’t match the others. After a long search, I found (and fell in love with) this one:



The problem was that it was only available from overseas sellers. Shipping is expensive, but I bit the bullet and ordered one through a nice person on Ebay who was able to work with me on the shipping cost. He still ended up costing more than all the other statues combined.

That left Nebt-het, and She was the real issue. .. (more on that in the next post) 

No comments:

Post a Comment