Monday, July 30, 2012

Addendum to Last Night's Post...


The whole timing thing is a good lesson. It really is. So I’m not going to derail the previous post by annotating it. However…

Several things occurred to me on waking the morning after:

 1)The hell? That spell wasn’t actually supposed to do anything, I was just intending to read it as a prayer. That it was actually a very loose translation from the book, that it was written as modern poetry, and that I was viewing my intention to read it mostly as an act of art and not an act of heka, makes it somewhat puzzling that it worked at all. The fact that its working didn’t surprise me at all during or immediately after the event is also puzzling—because it sure does surprise me now that I’m thinking on it clearly.

2) I drove a car while *magicks stuff* were happening?! Okay, with the benefit of hindsight, that was probably just a tad unwise. I mean, nothing bad seems to have happened and I know I didn’t feel impaired in anyway, but even just reading my entry from last night, it’s clear that the spell didn’t fully take effect until I was halfway to the store—and given that I had no idea what it would ultimately do to me, it was foolish to get behind the wheel. New personal rule: no driving or operating heavy machinery after writing and/or reading Ancient Egyptian spells.

3) Speaking of not knowing what it would do to me…that’s understandable, since those particular spells were written for and are specific to the dead. And it did not occur to me last night to look up whether or not casting them on the living is at all advisable. I actually have no idea if that was a good move or a bad one. Oh, and the spell in question for those who are curious: Not Decaying in the Other World. A body transfiguration spell….geez. And here I am being surprised that it had a physical effect. Oh no, I was all “Look it has Wesir’s name in it! That’ll be good right?” *head desk* Again, nothing bad seems to have happened but the fact that I didn’t even stop to think on it…

4) Apparently, these things I have planned are entirely too *big* to fit in the personal prayer part of Senut. Of course Senut feels stilted and dull after something like that! My sense of timing is an issue, but I don’t think the timing deal, as important as that realization is, was the reason Senut felt a little anti-climatic last night. But to be fair, that was not what I had originally intended to do. Read prayers, offer special offerings, done…that had been my original intention. Of course all that went out the window when I got seized by the words I was writing…

5) I really hope I am not coming off as overly dramatic when I write these posts. I am honestly not usually god-bothered to this degree. But I have noticed the unseen encroaching more heavily on my normal space recently. I think I have had more of such experiences in the last three months than I have in the seven years I’ve been Kemetic.

So…I wonder if today will be interesting. If the pattern of late keeps up, I know Tuesday will be.

>.<

No comments:

Post a Comment